LMS (Learning Machine System) are more and more popular among companies who want to train their employees. However, there are so many e-learning platforms that it is sometimes difficult to make a choice. Although some comparisons are available on the internet, this is not always enough to make the right decision. In this article, we propose you to discover how to choose your LMS (Learning Management System) platform thanks to some precious advices.
What is an LMS platform?
The LMS platform is a distance learning platform. On the web, you can find other names such as e-learning platform or e-learning platform. This digital training platform is a software that hosts pedagogical content and allows to deploy and manage distance learning for training centers and companies. Thanks to all the resources uploaded directly on the platform, they are then easily accessible for all the people who wish to learn at a distance. The LMS platform is often compared to a kind of warehouse that allows to store and track information.
The different types of LMS? platforms
The LMS platform can be presented in different forms:
- The SaaS mode is the most common today and most platforms are marketed in the cloud as a subscription. No need for installation or technical operation on your part, just initial configuration and customization. All data is stored in the cloud.
- The “On Premise” mode, or hosted on your server, still exists even if it becomes marginal. The interest depends of course on your ability to manage the technical aspects of the service (installation, hosting, updates, security, backup, maintenance in operational conditions …).
What are the criteria to take into account when choosing an LMS platform?
Certain criteria must be taken into account in order to choose the right LMS platform. First of all, you need to take stock of your current and future needs in terms of e-learning. Also ask yourself how complex the platform is. For example, if you need to manage multiple formats, this may be an important selection criterion. In short, to choose your LMS platform, you should ask yourself the following questions:
- What is my budget?
- What are my digital learning needs: blended learning, social learning, MOOC, Adaptive Learning?
- What type of hosting do you prefer? SaaS or local?
- What e-learning standards do you need? SCORM, TinCan, xAPI etc.?
- Do you need your LMS to integrate with other platforms (your directory, your HRIS, existing content catalogs, etc.)
- Does the platform have functionality to gamify learning?
- Does the platform offer a native mobile application?
The advantages of Thaleia, authoring software for e-learning
In addition to the management needs met by the LMS platform, your needs may also include the ability to create your own training courses, in complete autonomy. This is called “authoring tool”.
With Thaleia, creating an e-learning module has never been so easy! Indeed, Thaleia allows you to create your training modules without any technical knowledge, because the creation is done from a simple Excel file. You also have the possibility to manage a screen database and to generate your module automatically. The handling is immediate and very simple. Moreover, you can follow the activity of each learner, in a totally individual way. We offer 2 weeks of free testing with Thaleia, take advantage of it.